"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." –Ernest Hemingway
We're big fans of writers and those who master the craft. We also love analogy for learning and have often talked of Steven Pressfield's "War of Art" and "Do the Work" in relation to triathlon. Today, we look at Ernest Hemingway's approach to writing as craft and distill it into lessons for training. Notes pulled from: A Moveable Feast
- Beating Writer's Block (or being stuck in training): Write the truest sentence that you know. Do what feels pure to your body… hiking, swimming, biking, roller blading.
- Much more to life than triathlon
- All your workouts don’t need to be GREAT
- Paralyzing Stalemate of Fear
- Get Back to What You Love
- Leave some something in the tank - Stop while you’re ahead. Distract yourself with something completely different.
- Don’t feel drained for the next day
- There is so much restraint in becoming great
- You don’t get extra points for digging a hole
- How to tell you’re getting better when you seem the same
- The problem with instant results
- Doing The Work - The story began writing itself…. then I began writing the story. (I see this as the initial optimism for training creates an auto-pilot… but eventually you have to consciously do the work). “Work could cure almost anything, I believed then, and I believe now.”
- Training shouldn’t be separate, it should be part of you
- Flirting with the disconnect
- Tell us about the hardest part of your day
These are few more things, but we didn't get to them.
- Read good books. Follow inspiring people.
- Discuss with people who can teach you things.
- Don't judge your writing until the next day.
Support the Crushing Iron podcast on Patreon, where the community pledge is only $3.26 per month. There are other options, but every little bit helps us keep this podcast on the rails. Thanks in advance.
You can also support us at our new store at CrushingIron.com. We have some NEW classic logo t-shirts and the Official Crushing Iron Spectator shirt for sale. Support the cast and get some new gear for it!
Are you thinking about raising your game or getting started in triathlon with a coach? Check out our Crushing Iron Coaching Philosophy Video
We still have a few slots left for next year's camp, but they're going fast. Check out our 2019 Camp Schedule here
Please subscribe and rate Crushing Iron on YouTube and iTunes.
Support our podcast with some New Gear at CrushingIron.com
For information on the C26 Coach’s Eye custom swim analysis, coaching, or training camps email: C26Coach@gmail.com
YouTube: Crushing Iron
Mike Tarrolly - firstname.lastname@example.org
Robbie Bruce - email@example.com