We've always been big on the mind/body connection and showing yourself grace in training and life. Today we look at what it takes to combine the physical and mental aspects of triathlon with a spiritual approach. This is about having faith in the process, giving right effort, paying attention, staying focused and learning through experience to gain wisdom.
- Faith – When most people talk about faith, it's tends to be of a blind faith in something. But in this case, he referred to it as "buy in." As in, actually "knowing." If, for example, a friend tells you something that is right several times, you have strong faith in that friend's advice. In the case of training, it means faith in your plan and your direction. Faith here is an open mind and a heart filled with trust so that we can reach levels of the unknown. FAITH ARISES OUT OF SEEING AND KNOWING FOR YOURSELF. INSPIRES AN OUTPOURING OF ENERGY.
- Effort – Obviously effort is the one thing we control and putting yourself into something without doubt (having faith) allows you to give more. You trust the plan, the movement, the path. And effort separates the achievers from the dreamers. Talent is one thing, but effort usually beats it.
- Mindfulness – This is at the core of everything we do. Are you here, right now, in the moment with what you're doing. This applies to everything we do in triathlon, including diet, fueling, and recovery. The more we are mindful of taking care of our body, the more it will be connected to what we would like it to do. PAYING ATTENTION TO WHAT’S GOING ON IN US AND AROUND US. LISTENING TO THE BODY.
- Focus – We believe in what we're doing, we're giving the right effort in a mindful way, now it's about focus. This really comes into play as we get close to a race. This isn't about squeezing your brain, though. It's a relaxed focus and the embrace of what many call a flow state. Just be with whatever is there. If you feel pain, fatigue, etc., don't judge yourself, just acknowledge it and move on. FOCUS ARISES NATURALLY OUT OF MINDFULNESS. ONE POINTED ATTENTION. IF YOU’RE MINDFUL OF YOUR BREATH, YOUR FOCUS MOVES WITH IT.
- Wisdom – We only gain wisdom through experience. By going through something, otherwise it's just a collection of your memories about something else deducing the best solution you can. Most times it's not real. We have to live something to really know what it's like. That's the importance of what going through a training plan gives and why I'm such a big proponent of writing things down. Thoughts, feelings, etc. Cement that wisdom so you can move forward with better solutions to problems you may face.
Looking for an awesome coach this season? Former Professional triathlete, Jessica Jacobs is now coaching for C26 Triathlon. Check out her bio and contact information at our Coaching Page on C26Triathlon.com
If you're looking for a great custom coaching plan, please check out the new C26 Systems Plan for 2020 at the new c26triathlon.com. Coach Robbie will lay out your entire season (from 12-40 weeks) culminating at your A-Race. Take the confusion out of your entire year for only $499. The package includes team events, access to our online hub resource library, priority camp registration and more.
Big Shout out to podcast listener and Wordpress designer Bobby Hughes for helping get the new c26triathlon.com off the ground. If you like what you see and may need a website, check out Bobby’s work at https://hughesdesign.co/
You can also slide by www.crushingiron.com which is now the official blog page for the podcast. Community and coaching information are at www.c26triathlon.com
Our 2020 C26 Camps are sold out (other than swim camp) Find out more on our Camps Page.
If you'd like to support the Crushing Iron Podcast, hit up our Pledge Page and help us keep this podcast on the rails. Thanks in advance!
Are you thinking about raising your game or getting started in triathlon with a coach? Check out our Crushing Iron Coaching Philosophy Video
Please subscribe and rate Crushing Iron on YouTube and iTunes.
For information on the C26 Coach’s Eye custom swim analysis, coaching, or training camps email: C26Coach@gmail.com
YouTube: Crushing Iron
Mike Tarrolly - firstname.lastname@example.org
Robbie Bruce - email@example.com